Filed under: 2014 Camps
The 2014 Penn State Science-U Summer Camps at University Park, PA. Registration is now closed. Many camps are full. If you are still interested in registering for a camp, please contact us at (814)865-0083 to check availability.
- Curious Chemist Camp from 16 June 2014 09:00 AM to 20 June 2014 04:00 PM
- (June 16-20, Grades 2-3) Don't miss this charming opportunity to introduce your child(ren) to some of the fundamental chemical underpinnings which strengthen their understanding as they cover science in school. Together, campers will unravel the basic chemical principles that surround us in our homes, at school, and in the human body!
- Busted! Myth Meets Science from 23 June 2014 09:00 AM to 27 June 2014 04:00 PM
- (June 23-27, Grades 2-3) Start the summer off at one of the best science camps ever! Do you think you can unravel the mysteries you hear everyone talking about at school? Ever hear a myth or legend and wish you knew if it were true? Well, wonder no more! Come to this camp and you will be part of an investigative team that unlocks the secrets to some of the fun, silly, and crazy misconceptions you've heard about!
- Alien AstronoMysteries: Is Anyone Out There? (Full, waitlist 18) from 23 June 2014 09:00 AM to 27 June 2014 04:00 PM
- (June 23-27, Grades 4-7) Explore the universe in search of possible life in distant galaxies, calculate the probability of encountering alien species in your lifetime, and create worlds and planets that might sustain life light years from Earth in this all new Astronomy-lovers camp!
- Water Heroes from 23 June 2014 09:00 PM to 27 June 2014 04:00 PM
- (June 23-27, Grades 6-8) We need Global Water Heroes to protect our water so it is safe to drink and swim in – both for us and aquatic life. Join Penn State science and engineering faculty and graduate students as we explore old and new ways to protect one of the most vital compounds on earth.
- Jr. Science Sleuths: The Mad Scientist from 30 June 2014 09:00 AM to 03 July 2014 04:00 PM — Penn State University Park Campus,
- (June 30-July 3, Grades 2-3) Do you have what it takes to be a Jr. Science Sleuth? Can you help the detectives crack the case, find the clues, and solve the mystery that has them baffled? if you answered yes, then this is the camp for you! As a Jr. Science Sleuth, it will be your job to solve the mystery behind The Case of the Mad Scientist!
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) vs. Science-U (You) from 30 June 2014 09:00 AM to 04 July 2014 05:00 PM
- (June 29-July 4, Grades 9-12) Last fall, respected Artificial Intelligence researcher Dr. Cassandra O. M. Pewter disappeared during experiments to upload her mind into a mainframe. Recently, strange robots were discovered near her former lab that were scavenging electronic parts and actuators from nearby equipment. Trainees are urgently needed to use bomb disposal robots to explore critical areas of the laboratory, acquire some of these strange robot scavengers, and learn to reprogram them to explore the compromised building. Debates are raging whether it is ethical to shut down the system or to treat the advanced intelligence as a new life-form. Will you help us navigate the ethical and technological challenges to save the campus from this potential robot invasion?
- Forensic DNA: Next Generation Detectives (Full, both day and resident camps. Day waitlist 4. Resident waitlist 15) from 06 July 2014 09:00 AM to 11 July 2014 04:00 PM
- (July 6-11, Grades 9-12) Join a team of Forensic Science experts and your peers at the Nation's top-rated Forensic Science department at University Park, PA this summer and become a forensic scientist! The Penn State Forensic Science Department invites you to master the ultimate detective skill of DNA analysis! Whether you're called to investigate a murder or determine a 'who dun it' case, the future of evidence-based crime solvers will often rely on DNA to determine the truth.
- CSI Camp: The Case of the Alien Assassin (Full, day waitlist 43) from 06 July 2014 09:00 AM to 11 July 2014 04:00 PM
- (July 6-11, Grades 4-8) A member of the PSU Space Cadets student club was filming the weekly 'vlog' (video blog) when a surprise visitor appears and is caught on camera. The visitor appears to be a not-so-friendly alien from outer space who murders one of the space cadet club members! But there are many questions left unanswered...can you help us solve the mystery using science?
- NittanyBots: Penn State Mindstormers (Full, waitlist 15) from 07 July 2014 09:00 AM to 11 July 2014 04:00 PM
- (July 7-11, Grades 3-4) Science-U has partnered with Way Cool STEM Education to offer an awesome camp that challenges young students to explore the world of engineering through complex control systems...using LEGOS! Design creativity is strongly encouraged. Join us soon for this camp experience. Spaces are limited!
- Spy Games: The Math of Secret Messages from 13 July 2014 09:00 AM to 18 July 2014 04:00 PM
- (July 13-18, Grades 9-12) The Mathematics department at Penn State University invites you on a journey through the world of spies, secret messages and mathematics. Campers will learn historical and modern methods for sending secret messages, and how secret messages have been cracked throughout history. Campers will also learn different types of mathematics upon which much of modern encryption is based.
- Ecology Camp: The Wild Wonders of Your Own Backyard (Full, waitlist 20) from 14 July 2014 08:30 AM to 18 July 2014 04:30 PM
- (July 14-18, Grades 4-7) Imagine taking a week this summer and doing what you do best - explore the world around you by immersing yourself in it...come experience Penn State science at its best: in the field, literally!
- Engineering a Sustainable World (Full, waitlist 17) from 14 July 2014 09:00 AM to 18 July 2014 04:00 PM
- (July 14-18, Grades 5-8) Have you ever wondered where energy comes from? What energy is? How we save it? What the future holds for us with energy conservation? Join us this summer to uncover the truth about the future of energy in the U.S. and the world...
- Nittany Lion, M.D. (Full, waitlist 15) from 20 July 2014 09:00 AM to 25 July 2014 04:00 PM
- (July 20-July 25, Grades 5-8) The world needs new, intelligent doctors who can crack case studies that stump even the sharpest physicians! What if you could transport the chaos of an ER scene into a pre-medical training camp? Science-U presents a fast-paced pre-medical dissection and diagnosis experience for your doctor-in-training! Join us this summer on your way to med school!
- Doctor Winkel's Wonder Workshop: The Science of Toys (Full, waitlist 2) from 21 July 2014 09:00 AM to 25 July 2014 04:00 PM
- (July 21-25, Grades 2-3) Doctor Walter Winkel, the famous but reclusive toy maker, is looking for children to take over his toy workshop when he retires someday, but can he find imaginative children to learn all the science involved in how toys work? Only a select few will receive a titanium ticket to Doctor Winkel's Wonder Workshop to explore the science of toys!
- Science Leadership: A Festival of Innovative Ideas (Full, waitlist 1) from 27 July 2014 09:00 AM to 01 August 2014 05:00 PM
- (July 27-August 1, Grades 10-12) If you are considering pursuing a high-level educational experience and solving serious global issues using science, engineering, and teamwork, the Penn State Science Leadership camp offers an opportunity to experience both.